A Perfect Fit
Author: Lynne Garner
Publisher: David & Charles
128 pages, Color Photos & Illustrations
My Review: This book is about creating personalized patterns for a limitless wardrobe. The book is divided into 5 chapters:
1. Getting Started: this includes measuring your body, supplies needed, calculating fabric and sewing techniques.
2. Draping Using Basic Blocks: this includes principles, bodice, fitted sleeves and the basic skirt.
3. Making your Paper Blocks: this includes pattern making, darts, dress block, loose sleeve block and trouser block.
4. Creating your Wardrobe: this includes tops, sleeves, skirts, trousers and dresses.
5. Extra Elements: this includes pockets, facings, necklines, waistbands, cuffs and collars.
I love the illustrations and pictures in this book. The instructions are laid out clean and precise with helpful pictures. However, I think I need the pattern making book that comes before this one. I found myself re-reading, getting confused and having trouble understanding the instructions. I must note that I am a "simple seamstress". I currently sew with McCalls easy patterns. So, if you have sewing experience and want more creativity in designing your wardrobe, then this book is for you.
4 out of 5 stars.
From the Publisher: Using quick, easy-to-understand techniques this book brings the traditional couturier's method of creating bespoke garment patterns into the world of the home sewer. Unless you are one of the standard sizes dictated by garment pattern manufacturers (and very, very few women are), you will need to adapt a shop-bought pattern to make it fit you. Draping calico on your body following Lynne Garner's detailed step-by-step instructions results in a pattern block that is shaped to your body and works well in fabric. Learn how to then adapt your basic bodice, sleeve and skirt blocks to create a literally limitless number of gorgeous tops, trousers, skirts and dresses, all of which fit you to perfection. All you need to start your own Perfect Fit wardrobe is some calico, pins and a sewing buddy to help you out (you can return the favor so you both have bespoke pattern blocks).
*Thank you Marie for this opportunity to review*