Before and After Pergola


I have always wanted a pergola. Now I have one. I am happy.
Pergoal Before & After

Of course, nothing is easy on this home-front. Due to the height of the deck, the fact that we were trying to save money by adding on to an existing deck and the location of the roof/gutter line, our pergola had to be modified.  Instead of stacking the cross beams on top of each other, an illusion was created by constructing a grid.  Lots of measuring, lots of cutting. No, we did not do this ourselves.
Our marriage is not that strong.

IMG_0269
1. First a header was installed, drilled to the brick and a support column was added to the front corner

IMG_0278
2. Then the main cross beams were added

IMG_0276
3. Here it gets tricky. The main cross beams intersect the column and the illusion is created

IMG_0279
4. After the main beams are put in place, each cross-section is measured & cut

IMG_0281
5. Almost complete

IMG_0282
6. Here you can see how the support column was bolted to the existing deck

IMG_0486
7. Then we had the pergola painted to match the trim and the deck floor stained. Again, we paid someone to do the work. There was no way in hell I was going to paint all this.

hyancith bean
8. I planted these vines Hyacinth Bean Vine  to climb the pergola


~XOXO~

12 comments:

Scientific Housewife said...

Looks amazing! I want a pergola in my backyard so bad!

~Shari said...

oh wow. You are gonna love you back yard even more!!

Do you want some sunflower seeds from Indiana to plant also? I have been sending them all over the country side... :)

René said...

I love it! We have a pergola over our deck and I have been wanting to paint it. I would have to do it myself...ugh. Enjoy your new oasis.

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

I love it! Hubby built ours and it's one of my favorite things here.

elizabeth said...

It's awesome Christy!!
love it!!!
I can totally see myself sitting w/ you out there on a lovely summer evening!!!
I will bring the wine!

Katie @ Team Skelley said...

That completely changes the look of your deck! I love it, it is so custom. You have to enter it in the weekly blog parties, girl!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

It looks great! Home projects tend to strain marriages! :)

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love pergolas--my neighbors built one and I stop to stare at it every time I walk past (they're probably wondering who that weird woman is lingering outside their house...).

Yours looks fab! They did a great job. It really gave your house a "WOW" feature. Smart thinking, having someone else do all that painting, too!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Forgot to mention how much I love the yellow doors in your header. Have you been watching "9 by Design"? They have a country house that is white with yellow shutters and doors. So cheery.

Destination Seaborn said...

Very nice! I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy our pergola!
Miss ya...Lisa

katherinemarie said...

I can just imagine how fantastic and colorful this is going to be with all those flowers. You guys are always doing the most amazing projects. I'm such a dork-- I'd never heard a of pergola before... now you understand the depth of my decorating inabilities!!! Thankgoodness I have your inspiration! :):):)

uglythenpretty.com said...

WOW! I realize this project was earlier this year but It totally transforms the house! I had to post about it. Great job!
www.UglythenPretty.com