Beef Stew...Really Good Beef Stew!

I made beef stew for the first time. I will be making this recipe again. It was good and fun to make. I felt all French and Julia like...yea, it does not take much to entertain me! 

I am hoping that Best Mom on The Block reads this post and decides to make this recipe. She is magic in the kitchen and can take any recipe up a notch. In the meantime, make this stew. It is filling, warm and oh so good!

stew-beef-stew-1_300
photo by: Hans Gissinger
recipe from Real Simple (Jan 2010)




3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
kosher salt and black pepper
5 pounds beef chuck, cut into 16 large pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
2 stalks celery, cut into 3-inch lengths
1 medium onion, quartered
1 750-milliliter bottle red wine (such as Pinot Noir or Syrah)
2 bay leaves
2 pounds medium carrots (about 10), cut into 3-inch lengths
1 1/2 pounds turnips, peeled and quartered
2 12-ounce packages egg noodles
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions:
Heat oven to 325° F. In a bowl, mix the flour, 1½ teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add the beef and toss to coat.

IMG_9287

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. In batches, brown the beef, turning, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate as it browns.

Add the tomato paste, celery, onion, wine, bay leaves, a quarter of the carrots, and 2 cups water. Return the beef to the pot and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, transfer to oven, and cook for 2 hours.

IMG_9292

Remove the cooked vegetables with a slotted spoon and discard; skim and discard any fat from the stew. Add the turnips and the remaining carrots. Cover the pot, return it to oven, and cook until the meat and vegetables are tender, 45 to 60 minutes. If the stew is too thin, place the pot on the stove and simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes more.

IMG_9294

IMG_9296

Twenty minutes before the stew is done, cook the noodles according to the package directions and toss with the butter. Serve with the stew and sprinkle with the parsley.
By Sara Quessenberry, January 2010

I served my stew in a bread bowl. My mom made this and served hers on the noodles. Both good :)

IMG_9297

XOXO-




9 comments:

Kendall@ Finesse Your Nest said...

Yum! And you served it in a bread bowl, even better! Okay, now I'm hungry....

Unknown said...

I LOVE turnips. People have no idea how good they are! That and parsnips. looks really delish.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, this one looks too good to pass by. I will be preparing this one. (So far I've gathered three recipes today!) I found you via Twice Remembered. I am new to blogging and enjoyed reading through yours today. I'll be returning!

Deborah

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

YUM! Love the bread bowl idea. :) Thanks for including pictures...that always gives me a better idea of how the recipe will go. :)

Amanda said...

Holy cow, a shout out! You're too kind! I am for sure gonna try this cause when I tried your french onion soup it was delish. LOVE the bread bowl, so yummy looking! You don't guve yourself enough credit,I'd eat at your table any night!

Amanda

Jen said...

OMG that sounds so yummy! I would have to leave the turnips out though cause we dont like them. I have never served anything in a breadbowl but wow it looks so good and I must try it!

Aimee Cotton Bogush said...

Wow that looks absolutely fabulous!

Cheryl said...

I'm a new follower and I really like your recipes. Serving this in a breadbowl makes the presentation. This is on my menu soon. Thank you and I look forward to your future blogs.
Cheryl Sims

mel @ the larson lingo said...

Stew in a bread bowl? YUM! I love anything with bread! I am going to have to try this next week!